Saturday, October 23, 2010

PowerPoint Presentation

This week's classes were held exclusively on the internet. We were assigned to create a Powerpoint presentation that features one of our content standards within our major. I used the topic of reporting, because it's important to keep students interested when you're giving the instructions, plus it's a topic I intend to use in a lesson plan that I'm doing for my English Methods class. I broke the powerpoint down in the same way that Brenman does in "Thirst".






I found the three supplementary readings very helpful, though Splane was perhaps the most straightforward. I particularly used Splane's tips, but the article I found most interesting was by Elisabeth Bumiller . It was fascinating to see the military perspective on Powerpoints and how they use them (with emphasis on how they no longer want to use them). Something that particularly caught my eye was when Gen. James N. Mattis of the Marine Corps, the Joint Forces commander, said “PowerPoint makes us stupid”. That's definitely something to think about when planning a lesson plan, because you have to wonder just how much we spoonfeed students. The last website was merely an example of a good presentation, but it was awesome to see in action someone who actually used some of the rules from the other site (maybe not that site in particular, but something along those lines).




This project could represent many of the NETS Standards, but I think it primarily represents Standard 3, Substandard c, which states that teachers should "communicate relevant information and ideas effectively to students, parents, and peers using a variety of digital-age media and formats." This standard is true to the project because as teachers we have to keep students engaged and not lose their attention with boring powerpoints.

No comments:

Post a Comment